FILM CRITICS LAUNCH AWARD FOR BRITISH SHORT FILM OF THE YEAR
Actor-filmmakers Steve Oram and Alice Lowe will return as hosts for the ceremony on 17th January at The May Fair Hotel.
LONDON, 3 DECEMBER: Britain's leading film critics today announced that they will present a new prize for British Short Film of the Year at their 36th annual awards ceremony on 17th January 2016 at The May Fair Hotel. The London Critics' Circle Film Awards are presented by the 145-member Film Section of The Critics' Circle, the UK's longest-standing and most prestigious critical organisation.
Film Awards Chair Rich Cline comments: "We're looking forward to celebrating some of the best short films that Britain has to offer and letting critics support the valuable work of a new generation of filmmakers." The five nominees for the title have won top prizes at five partner film festivals:
• Directed by Tweedie (dir Duncan Cowles, UK 2014, 17 mins) - winner of the Scottish Short Film Award at the Glasgow Short Film Festival in March.
• Leidi (dir Simon Mesa Soto, UK/Colombia 2014, 16 mins) - winner of Best New Short at the London Short Film Festival in January.
• Over (dir Jorn Threlfall, UK 2015, 14 mins) - winner of the Best of British Live Action Award at Encounters in Bristol in September.
• Rate Me (dir Fyzal Boulifa, UK 2015, 17 mins) - winner of Best Short Film at Leeds International Film Festival in November.
• Stutterer (dir Benjamin Cleary, UK/Ireland 2015, 13 mins) - winner of Best Drama at Aesthetica in York in November.
These filmmakers have been invited to attend a lunchtime event at the May Fair Hotel on Tuesday, 15th December, at which the nominations in all other categories will be announced, followed by a reception for the short film nominees, Film Section members and other guests.
The Critics' Circle Film Section members will vote for the winner, which will be presented at a star-studded ceremony on Sunday, 17th January at the May Fair Hotel, hosted for the second year running by actor-filmmakers Steve Oram and Alice Lowe, who won the Critics' Circle Breakthrough British Filmmaker in 2012 for Sightseers. Both have made their directing debuts this past year. Oram's Aaaaaaaah! was released in UK cinemas this autumn and is still playing, while Lowe's Prevenge is in production.
Of returning to host the event, Oram said, "We found it a really fun and relaxed evening last year with a brilliant atmosphere. Can't wait to host again. We'll be ripping chunks out of each other on stage as usual. It'll be like watching like an imploding marriage."
The red carpet event is sponsored by The May Fair Hotel, Audi and Cameo Productions.